I sanded off the finish on the card using one of those handy sanding blocks you get at the home improvement store. This is my 'go to' sanding tool in the craft room.
After the finish is sanded off, color is added. These Peerless water colors are great! In the past, I would have used alcohol inks, but, it is hard to control where alcohol inks go when applied to a sanded surface. With these watercolors, you just use a damp brush to pull the color off the booklet page and apply it to the surface - the colors are so vibrant!
I used Distress Ink on the edges and I heat embossed the edges with Clear powder to make them shiny.
Finally, I embellished with spider web tape overlaid with film strip ribbon. I colored the staples with a Sharpie to make them look kind of rusty. I added the text strip in green after edging with ink. I also splattered the whole thing with distress ink.
Thought I would post what my swap partners made. Such cool artwork! It is always interesting to see different artist's takes on a challenge.